Tuesday, October 14, 2014

ENDANGERED WORDS TUESDAY: Afterwit

Today's Endangered Word:

 

Afterwit

 
{AF-ter-wit. Noun; also after-wit}
 
Late 16th century
Extremely rare

Description
This is a fun word. It's something I struggle with on a weekly basis, sometimes a daily basis, and I'm guessing you do, too. Unless you're a silver-tongued individual, and then the rest of us are envious of you!

Meaning
Wisdom after the event, that comes too late.

 
You've dealt with this . . . Am I right?

Used in a sentence: As I left the debate, I had an infuriating bout of afterwit--oh, the things I could've said!

All except the word's description and sentence example is taken directly or derived from
Endangered Words: A Collection of Rare Gems for Book Lovers
by Simon Hertnon.

Your turn: Make up a sentence for us, using the word AFTERWIT!

No comments:

Post a Comment