Monday, September 22, 2014

BOOK REVIEW MONDAY: Colliding with Destiny

Today's review is a little different. We're hitting a non-fiction book this week. I read:

Colliding with Destiny:

Finding Hope in the Legacy of Ruth

 

by Sarah Jakes

 
I give this book 4 out of 5 stars
 
BACK COVER COPY
 
THE STORY OF RUTH is a journey of transformation. By allowing God to transform her circumstances, Ruth went from a widow who would be excluded from society to a wife with a secure and protected future, a future that ultimately paved the way for the birth of King David! Her story is full of collision--loss, heartache, poverty, even shame--but she never let her past define her. Instead, the most painful time of her life became her most pivotal, propelling her to a destiny she never imagined.
Perhaps you have a past you're struggling to overcome. If disappointments, whether a result of your own choices or the actions of others, have kept you from being your true self, this book is for you. Follow Ruth's life and discover the hope available to each of us. Your yesterday does not have to dictate your tomorrow.
 
WHAT I EXPECTED BEFORE READING
 
I hadn't heard of Sarah Jakes, nor had I read her books, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I love the story of Ruth, so from that aspect, I expected to see a lot of scripture and a lot of deep, meaty content. 
 
AFTER READING
 
I thought this was an interesting premise for a book: paralleling the book of Ruth with the struggles in modern lives. I really appreciated the format in which the information was given--beginning each chapter with a passage from Ruth, then using the bulk of the chapter to explain how it applies to our lives, and ending with a journal entry idea and prayer for those who want to carry their devotional further.
I confess, I'd hoped for more meat than there was, and the writing style felt a bit basic for my personal taste, but the content that was there will not disappoint readers.
 
 
If you'd like to see how Ruth's struggles look just like yours,
and you'd like to see how her life (with God's help) can change yours,
Check out Colliding with Destiny by Sarah Jakes
Published by Bethany House Publishers


No comments:

Post a Comment